Font size:【Large】 【Moderate】 【Small
Shankou Temple
2012-10-09

Located in the north of Donghui Village in Guankou Town, Shankou Temple was first build in 1368 during the reign of Emperor Hongwu in Ming Dynasty, with ups and downs in the following years. The latest reconstruction in 1992, donated by Taiwan compatriots and overseas Chinese, followed its style and scale in Qing Dynasty.

The temple is devoted to General Fushun and General Fusheng with an interesting legend in Northern Sung Dynasty. As it goes, Mayin was a general and Li Bomiao was a military counselor under Marshal Yang Wenguang assigned by Emperor Ren (1010-1063) to pacify rebellion around Min’nan area. Their contribution in war helped win titles of General Fushun for Mayin and General Fusheng for Li Bomiao respectively. Their great work after ordered to station in Zhangzhou and Quanzhou helped gain admiration from local people and temple to worship them as patron saint after they died. The cult was introduced to Taiwan with immigrants from Guankou Town at the beginning of Qing Dynasty, spreading around Taipei, Xinzhu, Sanchong, Banqiao, Toucheng and so on now.

   Facing to the south, the 400-square-meter temple, 30 meters long and 13 meters wide, applies a typical local wood and brick structure consisting of three halls in traditional Chinese architecture style. The front hall is entrance hall, the middle hall houses General Fushun and General Fusheng, while the rear hall is devoted to Bodhisattva Guanxin.

Copyright Information Add:168 Cendong Rd, Jimei, Xiamen 361021,China