Font size:【Large】 【Moderate】 【Small
Shengguoyuan Temple
2012-10-09

Situated at the northeast of Hangshan Village in Houxi Town, Shengguoyuan Temple, meaning Holy Fruit Temple,  is a temple for both Buddhist and Taoist. It was among the first list of Cultural Relics Sites under Protection of Jimei District Government in 1990

Starting from Tang Dynasty (618-907), the temple has experienced ups and downs as many Chinese temples do. First built by Monk Zhuoyou from Quanzhou in Tang Dynasty with the first name of Sizhoutang Temple, it was later renamed Shengguoyuan Temple, the temple of holy fruits, due to a legend that longan trees inside beard fruits in winter, which was considered a miracle as the season for Longan fruition is around June and July. After destroyed in war in 1354 during the reign of Emperor Zhizheng in Yuan Dynasty, it was rebuilt three years later by Monk Nanzong and Mr. Wang Xichou, a local resident. With several reconstructions in following dynasties, it finally presents itself before people as a small temple of primitive simplicity now.

Facing south, the 430-square-meter temple in brick and wood, 29 meter long and 13 meter wide, is a typical Chinese building which consists of a front hall, a back hall, two wing verandas and a patio. The front hall, with a typical Chinese double-eave roof, houses Buddha from Three Worlds; while the back hall is dedicated to Huguo King (King of Nation Protection). Colorful paintings on girders in both halls appeal to followers with interesting stories and vivid painting of animals and flowers. Stone steles recording temple events in 1359 during Yuan Dynasty and reconstruction in 1623 during Ming Dynasty are well preserved as cultural footprints for visitors’ appreciation.

Copyright Information Add:168 Cendong Rd, Jimei, Xiamen 361021,China